The Last Post. It's Done. Thanks for the Ride [Week 14 of 30th April - 4th May]

That's All Folks!

It's been a great ride thanks for coming with me on this glorious journey. There are very few projects that I have this much fun in. leaning about how a cinematic is put together in a game engine is such a rewarding experience that makes me want to continue to work in similar projects further.

Note: i decided as a fun little thing to try and bring out there characters, I did a couple of posed shots. even though its main part of the main bulk of work i just thought it would a nice fun addition to close this project on.

Smile For The Camera 

What i got to use

I genuinely loved using the rig produced by Kiel Figgins 'Bat Sniper' it have gave a lot of stuff to experiment with (e.g. stretchy legs and arms) you may noticed this in some frames this was done to add my emphasis to it and give off that follow through after the anticipation of the move. plus due to the fact that there were game ready and along with Kiel Figgins plug-in it allowed me to get them into the UE4 with little hassle. 
learning to use to use unreal 4's sequencer was without a doubt the biggest treat in the whole project as I've always wanted to get more acquainted with the use of a game engine. following the toturoils provided by epic games allowed me to understand the basics and then i could slowly diverge and try some other techniques that weren't covered in the tutorials
there of course where things I looked at to understand the body mechanics in a fight mainly Stuart Sumida mini video course on animation mentor that is free for anyone to watch. it helped me understand what i should be paying attention to when animating a fight, but i'm seven in my final piece i didn't nail and it wasn't as fluid as i wanted it to be. there some other videos here and there i looked at and what they would say is 'if your isn't being super realistic then do throw something in that is kinda random as long as it makes it cool.

Despite their fights they still love each other
Report time

I'm currently also writing report about my whole experience of this project. talking about almost every single detail that went into this project. I wont bore you and put the report here as you can just look through my blog to understand what I did over the whole the project. There might have been small stuff that happened during the project I have failed to mention in any of my blog posts, but I will sure be putting in my report so that my examiners get every single detail that  did in this project.

working hard to get things done

Finished piece 
Here is a link to a higher quality version over at my Vimeo.
Extreme Retaliation High-RES Video Link
I recommend you watch that version as videos on blogger are compressed and resolution at the time of writing this is capped at 720p.


Final edits to it where done in Adobe premiere. mainly adding the sound and text
sound was part was also had its fun because it really adds to the fight give punches and other various hits more impact without changing the animation. There was slight edits to the video itself where i learned from some youtube tutorials on creating good fight scenes is to cut a frame when body parts make contact with one another to give them more impact even if you yourself doesn't really notice it someone will.

Conclusion

some bugs are fun
I think it all turned out well, but of course I wish I could have done certain things differently and I wish i knew what i was doing much earlier. what i mean by that is that my fight changed quite a few times where i believe during the first 3 1/2 weeks i was working on a completely different fight then what you saw in the final. If i new my fight at an earlier stage maybe my animation would be more polished. i for quite some time have been afraid of keyrame where i spent about doing only mocap which i enjoyed, but the keyframe stuff i did was very poor quality that i thought to myself 'i could never get good at this'. However due to a project that happened just before my Final year project where i was put into a position to be forced to use keyframe due to the fact that the characters wouldn't be possible to do in mocap. The response from everyone was quite surprising saying it that it was really good, which is why i was motivated to pursue keyframe in my free time and for this project.
Overall i'm happy with my result although I can always do better and there were things that i wanted to do but didn't due to time restrictions like skirt animations which I tried to use Unreal 4's built-in cloth physics however it wouldn't work another would be adding more animation to the ears but if i moves them in their X axis it actually breaks apart the ear form the helmet however it adds so much to the expression.
Friends keeping me motivated
Progression shot

Here you can see the progression of an animated shot in my sequence from from storyboard to unreal 4. It was the earliest thing I completed animating in my project. i've kept it simple and mainly keeping it towards the animation and not the VFX/Post processing in Unreal 4.



And So It Ends 
Thanks again for this journey. Cant wait for the next thing.

UE4 Render Of First Pick

Comments